Community

Press

[PRESS RELEASE] Actress Rebecca Lim receives same award in South Korea as her idol, Hong Kong star Anthony Wong

• Admin
  • 2017-06-30
  • Views 13,146

Actress Rebecca Lim receives same award in South Korea as her idol, Hong Kong star Anthony Wong

Singapore actress Rebecca Lim, 29, was honoured with an acting award at the Seoul International Drama Awards last Thursday.

But her friends were probably more excited about her sharing the same space as Song Joong Ki, the star of popular South Korean drama Descendants Of The Sun - she was seated right behind him during the ceremony that took place at KBS Hall in Seoul.

Speaking to The Straits Times from the South Korean capital, she says: "When my friends heard that Song was attending the award ceremony, they texted me and asked me to take pictures with him.

"I didn't think much about it because I didn't know whether it was possible to do so. He was in the front row and I was seated right behind him."

She scored her photograph with Song and also bagged the Asian Star Prize, which recognised her convincing turn as a bar hostess in Channel 8 period drama The Journey: Our Homeland (2015).

The annual awards ceremony is organised by the Seoul Drama Awards Organizing Committee and Korean Broadcasters Association.

Other recipients of the Asian Star Prize included Hong Kong's Anthony Wong, Japan's Mina Fujii and Taiwan's Jasper Liu.

The prize was extra sweet for Lim because she shared it with Wong.

She says: "I loved how Anthony Wong worked his way to the top. His movie Infernal Affairs (2002) was a huge hit when I was in school.

"To win an award was already such a huge deal. To be on the same stage as Wong, whom I have admired from a young age, and winning the same award as him was a very huge deal for me."

Encountering South Korean star Song also felt surreal as she had binge-watched his military romance drama in four days earlier this year.

"Descendants Of The Sun is the only Korean drama I have watched from start to finish. The story is very fast-paced and to-the-point. It had lots of unexpected twists. It was very romantic," she says.

Descendants, a huge hit across East Asia, snagged three awards in the Korean Wave drama category, said Yonhap News Agency.

The Best Actor award went to its lead actor Song. It also earned Best Drama, as well as Best Original Soundtrack for its theme song, You Are My Everything.

Seoul's whirlwind of events may have come to an end for Lim, but the busy actress barely has any downtime.

Back in town for a few days, she says: "I will be flying off to film a travelogue, The Travellers, in Hong Kong tomorrow. Later this month, I have a work trip to Japan. So I will spending my birthday in Japan."